Dealing With Smoke Damage to Your Building
Smoke can quickly and thoroughly pervade your commercial building in Fullerton, CA, often causing more damage than is apparent. Smoke damage might require special cleaning agents or even structural rebuilding. That's why it's always a wise idea to contact commercial building restoration professionals. They can provide the professional smoke cleaning necessary to get your business back on its feet quickly.
What To Do While Waiting For Your Restoration Professionals
There are several things you can do to mitigate smoke and soot damage while waiting on the arrival of your restoration professionals:
- Help reduce the fumes by first airing out the building.
- Keep hands clean to avoid additional soiling to upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Change the HVAC filter and cover vents with a damp, loosely woven material, such as cheesecloth, to capture any loose soot in the air.
Because improper cleaning can increase the damage caused by soot residue, do not wash the walls.
What To Expect From Your Restoration Professionals
Your commercial restoration professionals will closely inspect your building to determine the extent of the soot and smoke damage and to develop a plan of action. The plan often involves the following:
- Missing windows and walls are boarded up.
- Damaged roofs are covered with tarps.
- Standing water is removed.
- Dehumidifiers and air movers are strategically placed to complete the drying process.
- Smoke and soot are removed with specialized equipment.
- The property is cleaned and sanitized using cleaning methods that will have your property looking “Like it never even happened.”
The final step is to restore your building to the condition it was in before the fire occurred, from minor repairs such as repainting and installing new carpet to major reconstruction of damaged areas.
Soot and smoke damage can take time away from your business. However, knowing how to respond quickly can help you get back to focusing on your work in minimum time.